Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Life as a White Belt - Rehabilitation

[Author’s Note:  Motivation comes from lots of places, but I find that much of mine is currently coming from one source – so I include a thank you with this entry to that source.  Also, beware what you ask for as you just might get it! ;)]            



Rehabilitation:

                I’ve always had a bit of an irrational block against massage therapy, so I’ve never tried it.  Couldn’t really tell you why.  Like I said, irrational.  After talking with Adam (fitness coach) and several other gym members who swear it was extremely beneficial for them, I break down and schedule a session with Coach Eric, who is also a licensed massage therapist. 

                At this point, Eric has become more than just a coach for me.  I’ve had the opportunity to get to know his family and visit his home to watch some UFC fights.  The social outlets that he’s included me in have helped me to start building healthy relationships with some truly excellent people, himself included.  I also find myself admiring his approach to life – he’s generally upbeat and takes adversity in stride.  He also treats people with respect and therefore receives quite a bit from the entire gym community.  Not a bad role model for someone trying to rebuild his life.

                I fill out the form describing what’s bothering me – namely my hip flexors and lower back.  It’s now at the point where I’m in constant pain whenever I am doing anything remotely active.  I wake up sore and go to bed sore.  It isn’t sharp, stabbing agony.  More like a dull throb that doesn’t go away.  I am seriously considering taking a long break to see if that helps to solve the problem.  I really don’t want to though.  Despite the pain, my time at the gym is my favorite time of the day.  I learn something new every class and I have a lot of acquaintances here now.  Hopefully, Eric can help me out!

                He is professional and friendly as we start the session, asking questions to determine exactly what needs to be done and walking me through the process since this is the first time I’ve done anything like this.  I am surprised at how nervous I am.  I really want the pain to end and to be able to have a full range of motion again. 

The preconceived notions I had about what a massage is supposed to be like are quickly dashed from my thoughts.  Instead of a lot of pounding and rubbing like you see in the movies, Eric uses pressure.  It is almost clinical, as opposed to being sloppy or intrusive.  At the same time, he keeps me talking… about myself, about jiu jitsu, and about other common interests.  As we talk, I discover that he and I have quite a few overlapping experiences.  The specifics vary, but we’ve both been down some difficult roads in our lives.  He continues to work out the kinks in my body, allowing me to dictate how much pressure he applies in accordance to my pain threshold.  I also become more and more informed about the different muscles that are causing me to hurt.  Eric seems to know his business inside and out.  He can also tell that I haven’t ever had professional massage work done before.  It seems that my leg muscles are particularly tight and unmoving.

Before I know it, the session is done.  As I get down from the table I apprehensively put weight on my legs.  A miracle!  No more pain!  I can do lateral lunges with a full range of motion!!!  I want to do a jig, I’m so giddy.  I give Eric a high-five and an enthusiastic ‘Thank you!’  This was so worth the money it cost.  I can still sense that my body isn’t completely happy, though.  The great sensations throughout my hips and lower back seem to have highlighted the tightness I was unaware of before in other parts of my body, particularly my shoulders and neck.  Well, they aren’t painful at least… just a little tight.  I’m guessing Eric can probably help with that, too.  I am definitely scheduling another session with him.

As I settle up the bill and walk out the door, I realize that more important than a release from the pain I was feeling is that Eric is becoming my friend.  Something I feel like I haven’t had in quite a while… at least not someone I get to hang out with on a regular basis.  It’s a good revelation, and I walk home with a skip in my pain-free step and a lighter heart to accompany it.

No comments:

Post a Comment