Sunday, October 30, 2011

My Life as a White Belt - Pater Familias

Pater Familias:

                Saulo Ribeiro is larger than life.  For months I have heard my coaches and teammates speak of the man in respectful tones as they relate tales of his world championships and his renowned ability to communicate jiu jitsu to others.  He is the head of the Ribeiro Jiu Jitsu association, and he is standing right in front of me.  I am, quite simply, in awe.

                When I found out that Saulo was coming to do a seminar for us, I watched videos of his matches.  He is more than just a champion – he has beaten some of the biggest names in the sport.  He is also the founder of the University of Jiu Jitsu, which is an innovative approach to teaching jiu jitsu and the basis for the handbook that Five Rings uses as an academy.  The opportunity to learn some great things has presented itself and I want to make the most of it.  He came to observe Five Rings members and offer feedback on our training last night and now he is conducting an open seminar. 

                This isn’t the first time I have been around celebrities; I attended Yale University and there were more than a few big name stars that went to school with me there (Jennifer Connolly, Sara Gilbert, Christie Martin, heck… Josh Saviano was in my fraternity and played Paul Pfeiffer on the Wonder Years).  This is different, though.  I am aware of what it takes for this man to have accomplished the things that he has:  the hard work, the dedication, the years of training and perseverance, as well the passion to bring his style and message to those who would learn from him.  I feel honored to be in his presence.

                I feel some surprise when I see how friendly and warm Saulo is as he walks among my Five Rings brothers and sisters.  There is a great turnout for the seminar and he makes a point of trying to greet all of us personally with a smile and offer some words of encouragement.  His Brazilian background is evidenced by a strong accent that I find oddly endearing.  One thing strikes me quite profoundly.  If I am not mistaken, he is approximately the same age that I am.  Wow.

                He gathers us for warm-ups and it quickly becomes apparent that we are in for something different than we are used to.  The exercises are a bit more traditional to the point of being a little formal.  I am impressed by how intense some of the activities are and at how the movements loosen up some different muscles than I am used to.  Saulo is akin to a cheerleader, in that he keeps us pumped up and excited all the time.  I don’t think I’ve ever smiled quite this much while doing calisthenics.

                Coach Tom says of Saulo, and I quote – “He is a master of teaching techniques in a simple, easy to understand way that is immediately applicable and usable in one’s game.”   I notice this for myself almost from the start of the seminar.  I am severely lacking in my bottom guard game.  The attacks that I feel comfortable with from that position are basically non-existent.  This is not from lack of instruction, either.  I just haven’t found that base from which I feel comfortable moving and creating space.  It may stem to some degree from that fact that being on my back or even on an edge is still kind of foreign to me.  As a wrestler, exposing your back to the mat was about as ‘wrong’ as something could be.  That being said, Saulo just demonstrated a position that he calls ‘classic guard’.  From closed guard you break down your opponent’s posture using a cross lapel grip and a same side sleeve grip (hand position #3!).  As they attempt to recover, you open your guard and place your sleeve grip side heel in their hip and the other heel into their shoulder, bicep, or other hip.  Your grips give you pull, while your heel placement gives you the opportunity to extend their body.  If done properly, you gain a lot of control over your opponent and Saulo demonstrates several different attacks from that base position (armbar, triangle, cross choke, omaplata, and sweep).   I feel my pulse quicken as I start to understand the possibilities.  A few drills later I become even more excited at the level of comfort I feel from this position.  I think I may have just found my guard bottom ‘go-to’ starting point.

                I am extremely grateful to have the opportunity to learn from a six time world champion.  His accomplishments are not something that I personally aspire to at this point in my life, but the way he carries himself and interacts with others are definitely traits that I would like to acquire.  His method of teaching is effective and seemed to offer something to everyone in the room.  I wonder if I could ever coach jiu jitsu.  That would be an amazing way for me to get back into teaching.  Food for thought, for sure.
                An unusual urge comes over me as the seminar comes to a close…  I find myself wanting this man’s autograph!  I don’t think I’ve ever felt this way before.  What the heck, I may as well run with it.  I’ve experienced a lot of new things lately so it just feels right to go with this one.  Everybody needs a hero to look up to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment