Monday, October 3, 2011

My Life as a White Belt - Preparation

Preparation:

                Trap the forearm with the same side hand, then grab the tricep with the opposite hand with palm facing away and pinky towards the ceiling – Hand Position #1.  This position is particularly effective for attacking from the closed guard.  Transitions from a pit stop position to an armbar or triangle submission are possible evolutions of the hand position.

                When I think about this, analyze it, take it apart and put it back together it makes more and more sense.  It’s a recipe!  Step by step instructions to get from point A to point B.  Sure, there are other possibilities along the way; branches off the road to get to different destinations.  But the most direct line is available by following simple, easy-to-remember directions.  How many times have I overcomplicated things in my life by not just doing what made the most sense?  This makes sense, so I am not going to question it.  I’m just going to do it.  And do it again. And again.  Until it comes so naturally that I don’t even have to think about it. 

                Translation for life outside the gym:  Get up.  Establish a healthy routine.  Avoid complications.  Remove stressors.  Face the world with an open mind and an open heart.  Build relationships with positive people.  Set goals and accomplish them.  Get plenty of sleep.  Do it again.  And again.  This makes sense.

                There is a tournament up near Seattle coming up fairly soon called the Revolution.  Still not sure if I am ready for that yet, but I want to challenge myself.  I’m getting better at some things.  My conditioning is improving by leaps and bounds.  Between fitness classes and jiu jitsu training I am now spending close to 15 hours a week at the gym.  And having a blast doing it!  It seems to be a logical next step to add a competitive endeavor to my list of goals. 

Tournament preparation at the gym is intense, but full of constructive feedback.  There is a ‘fine-tuning’ aspect that I really like – taking the things you know and making them better and more efficient as opposed to piling on as many new moves as possible.  I feel myself getting excited at the prospect of testing out what I’ve learned against someone else.  I express my interest to the coaches and they encourage me to register.   

I have to stop and ask myself if this is too much, too soon.  Can I handle the frustration of training competitively and the possible disappointment of losing after all that training?  I realize that if I don’t test myself then I will just end up treading water safely in the shallow end of the pool.  Life is full of risks.  There are lots of people who hide in their safe little worlds without taking any chances.  I’m not interested in being those people.  Look out, Revolution – here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment