Monday, October 17, 2011

My Life as a White Belt - Demarcation

Demarcation:

                I’ve increased my training time to two to three fitness classes and four to five jiu jitsu classes per week.  The benefits are readily apparent, as my conditioning and strength continue to improve.  My technique is still clunky, but I also see improvements there.  Trying to fit runs in at least three times a week, but that is a bit more hit and miss.  The diet continues to improve – eating a lot more vegetables and cutting out sweets and snacks.

                All of this coincides with my continued attendance at drug and alcohol treatment therapy and Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.  I’ve been doing my community service at a place called FreeGeek, where I’ve been building computers for those in need.  Slowly, but surely, life seems to be coming back to a place where I feel settled.  I have a routine that works.  I seem to be making good choices and prioritizing correctly. 

                Coach Tom and Coach Eric have given me some new things to think about since the tournament.  First and foremost is that there is still a ton of jiu jitsu that I haven’t even been exposed to yet.  So much so that there are basic, fundamental building blocks that aren’t in place yet.  I work hard to fill in those gaps.  I drill the moves we learn in class at open mats.  I watch YouTube videos of things I don’t really understand yet and want to know more about.  Next, I start working on finding out what is wrong with my hips.  I have been in almost constant pain for weeks… no, make that months.  It’s very difficult for me to do full squats and lateral lunges.  This is impacting my ability to perform many of the moves properly.  This is also frustrating me on an emotional level because I can tell that it is holding my progress back.  I talk with Adam – a very knowledgeable fitness instructor at the gym – and he starts me on a program to help alleviate the issue.

                I am having more success at tournament rounds, but still struggle to make it to the end.  It occurs to me that something Coach Tom spoke about after the Revolution could apply here.  When I mentioned my burning forearms he told me that I was overgripping.  I was applying too much energy over too much time and it was sapping that particular part of my body.  In other words, I need to figure out how to pace myself and recognize better when to explode and attack and when to rest and take stock of my situation.  I am trying to give every partner at sparring rounds my full energy when I should be going at closer to 85 or 90 percent, as well as using the applied energy technique.

                The epiphanies keep popping up and I feel enlightened each time one does.  I don’t remember feeling this sense of wonder at learning something new since college – I have really missed it.  Nose back to the grindstone… not the most apt phrase, perhaps, because no work I’ve ever done was this much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment