Monday, December 12, 2011

My Life as a White Belt - Reunion

Reunion:

                It’s been twenty years since I graduated from high school.  Twenty years.  I find it interesting to note that the last time I approached life with the same fervor and enthusiasm as I do now is probably around the time of that graduation.  I was valedictorian of my class, captain of three varsity sports, and headed to an Ivy League university – the classic overachiever.  I firmly believed that the world was a place that was waiting to be conquered.  Hard work and natural born talent were going to be enough to accomplish any goal that I set.

                I had a rude awakening waiting for me out in the ‘real world’.  I was ill prepared for the challenges that I had to face:  the lures of alcohol and addiction hooked me hard once I left the safe confines of my small, sheltered town in upstate New York.  Still, it is with a joyful heart that I return to that town and the school where I grew up.  I am excited to see family and friends and reconnect with people that I haven’t seen since high school.

                I fly out of Seattle and into Boston because it is significantly cheaper than a flight directly from Portland to Albany.  I also have friends that I want to visit in each of those cities.  Jonas is heading to the Navy soon and it is good to see him, even if it is only for a short while.  We play some pool and talk about the changes in our lives.  He is doing everything he can to be a good father and husband, but it obviously isn’t easy.  Eli seems to be thriving on the opposite coast, and he reminds me that despite the progress I’ve made I need to keep the future in mind.

 I also get the chance to visit with a high school sweetheart in Boston.  Terri is a Harvard grad who currently works as a surgeon.  Seeing her gives me the opportunity to talk about my reservations about taking risks – she encourages me to pursue happiness, in whatever form I may find it.  I resolve then and there to ask out the woman who caught my eye at the gym as soon as I return from this trip.  Life is way too short to miss out on someone like her.

It turns out that a friend of a friend is heading to my next stop from Boston, so I finagle a ride and end up outside of Saratoga.  Temptation waits for me there in the form of an old drinking buddy (Shaggy) and is balanced by the presence of my oldest childhood friend, Sean.  Shaggy Bob’s life reflects the roller coaster ride that mine has been, but he has recently found the Yin to his Yang… a great girl named Erin who appreciates him for who he is, flaws and all.  I break down and try to smoke a cigarette for old time’s sake and nearly throw up after one drag.  That is one habit I won’t be picking back up anytime soon.  The more dangerous temptation of alcohol is easier to resist.  Sean’s presence is supportive and Bob does his best to not push the issue.   We have a blast reminiscing, playing darts, and getting reacquainted after all the years that have gone by.  Even in the face of Shaggy’s annual Manifest Boozery Landmine Croquet, I am able to stay completely sober and reinforce that wisdom that I can have fun without alcohol.

I am very excited and nervous for tomorrow.  I get to see what has changed and what has not.  Opportunities for growth shall most certainly present themselves, if only I can take advantage of them.   

               

No comments:

Post a Comment