Friday, September 9, 2011

My Life as a White Belt - Initiation

Initiation:

                Today I try the fitness class for the first time.  It’s being instructed by Jessica, who reminds me of someone I once knew and as with just about everyone else here looks like she could kick my ass.  I remember seeing her in the upper level jiu jitsu class, too.  A blue belt, if memory serves.  There are quite a few other folks in this fitness group and after some brief introductions we get started.

                “Glute” bridges, overhead pulls, cats and dogs, opposite hand/leg raises, active clocks, one-legged side leans, kneeling groins; it’s like I’m learning a new language.  We’re stretching a lot and there is a lot of focus on correct technique.  It seems that I currently suck at stretching, but at least the feedback is constructive and not critical.  The biggest issue I am facing is that I am already getting tired and only twenty minutes have gone by!  What did I get myself into?  No one else seems to be having any trouble – especially Patricia.  She’s an older lady, but damn is she fit.  Mental note:  Try to keep up with Patricia.

                Okay, now we’re getting to the meat of the workout – lots of pushing and pulling – T-stand push-ups, TRX rows, multiplanar dumbbell raises, renegade rows – heh, more new terminology and this time they hurt!  Trying my best to keep a good face on things, but my muscles and lungs are already blown.  I did not pace myself well.  Argh!  Breathe, Dan, breathe…  just do what you can.  No one is giving you a hard time and there’s no prize at the end of class.  Slow and steady wins the race, yadda yadda.

                Jessica transitions us into the conditioning portion of the class.  Wait...  what?!?  You mean that wasn’t just conditioning we were doing???  I look at the clock for the umpteenth time.  Still fifteen minutes left… I can do this.  Where the hell is my cardio?  I run close to 3 miles at least every other day!  I guess those seventeen years of smoking are still affecting me.  Bah!  No excuses!  Push through the pain!  Rapid response drill, bear crawls, roller coasters, Aerodynes (bikes), and d-ball slams add up to happy, fun, torture time.

                When the time runs out on the last exercise I am exhausted, but energized.  It’s been too long since I pushed myself that hard.  Having someone there to support, educate, and cheer me on is just what I need to get back into shape, because tonight showed me just how far I have to go.  But I made it!  Hopefully I won’t be too sore tomorrow!  Jessica highfives everyone and welcomes me to come back for more.

                So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment