Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Life as a White Belt - Illumination

Illumination:

                I spend a lot more time observing others than I used to.  Overall, I’ve been a pretty self-centered guy for the majority of my life.  Now I feel like I am able to watch what others are doing and really be aware of what’s going on.  Take this drill we’re doing as an example: the Lovato flow is what Coach Eric calls it.  I am watching it being demonstrated and I am starting to understand how the transitions and positioning allow the armbar at the end of the flow to become a reality for the person performing it.  Then, I am able to apply what I’ve seen and put it into practice in my own drills. 

                I’m starting to understand that there is a connection here, if I can only make it.  There are some people in this community that I can really learn from, and not just jiu jitsu moves.  There are successful businesspeople, folks in healthy relationships, and individuals with productive goals that they have realistic ways of reaching.  Maybe if I hang around long enough I can figure out how to do these things for myself.  I definitely need a new road map for life.   The last one had too many pit-stops in hell. 

                The famous names of jiu jitsu get tossed around the gym a lot – Saulo and Xande Ribeiro, Rafael Lovato, the Gracies…  I don’t have a ton of familiarity with these guys, but I get the impression that they’ve earned their reputations.  Another name that is a little newer on the scene is Jeff Glover.  Known for his dynamic and innovative style, he’s had some recent success at big tournaments.  Five Rings gets him to come and do a seminar for us.  As I meet him and listen to his insights on this sport that I’m growing to love, I feel like I’m in the presence of someone who gets it.  His game seems more applicable to smaller athletes, but one thing I take away is how he moves his hips.  Everything evolves from his hip positioning.  Not to mention that he could be an acrobat – I’ve never seen anyone use a stability ball like he does.

                Hip movement, observation, application – things are starting to fall into place.  I just have to keep at this.  Regular attendance, continued sobriety, and focus should be all I need to stay on track.  My DUI hearing ended up turning out about as well as I could have hoped.  Minimum fine, lots of community service, victim’s panel, and a year- long license suspension.  Bike is moving up the priority list.  Oh, and another source of income.  Not subbing is killing my budget.  I am still able to make it to a couple of gigs a month, but that just isn’t cutting it.

                Running and fitness are making some significant changes on my body, too.  I’ve already lost about eight pounds since I started at Five Rings.  I’m going to do something I swore I would never do as well.  I’m going to start looking at my diet and maybe make some changes.  Gasp! 

No comments:

Post a Comment